The Carlton Connect Initiative has laid the foundations for Australia’s leading innovation precinct, anchored by the University of Melbourne.
We position world-class talent with 21st century technologies in the heart of Melbourne.
An ecosystem-based approach to innovation
We drive partnerships between different sectors and disciplines to address global challenges that can’t be solved by one sector alone.
The University is committed to:
- Driving multidisciplinary partnerships between research, industry, government, entrepreneurs and the social sector
- Attracting world-class talent
- A community committed to sharing knowledge and exploring new terrains
- Breaking down the barriers between disciplines, sectors and geographies
- Programming diverse activities designed to drive collaboration
A social, cultural and community consciousness
Carlton Connect invites the community to query, test and sample possible solutions to complex problems like affordable housing, water scarcity and the transition to renewable energy. Innovation partners collaborate with the social sciences as well as the physical sciences to enhance the social outcomes of research.
With the innovation precinct, the University of Melbourne is:
- Developing a site with a strong social history to meet the highest standards in design and sustainability
- Creating a new platform to showcase technological innovation and research outcomes
- Building new public engagement spaces including Science Gallery Melbourne
LAB-14 has been operating as a successful prototype of the innovation precinct over the last two-and-a-half-years. The new innovation precinct is expected to be completed by 2020 – please check the site development updates section for more information.